If you have a basic understanding windows and can reversing song can be done with free software and is really quite easy!
This tutorial was written for people running the Windows operating system. All software can be used for free!
Just follow these steps:
You probably already have songs you'd like to listen to backwards in mp3.
The first thing we're going to do is install a free program that allows you to convert between .wav and .mp3 audio formats
Download and install Michael K. Weise's mkw Audio Compression Tool.
Start the tool by clicking Start->Programs->mkw Audio Compression Toolkit
Now navigate to the directory where your mp3's are located
Drag a song onto the mkw audio tool and watch as it converts it into the .wav audio format. Your mp3 directory will now have an extra .wav file. In this case, we dragged "The Space Between" onto mkw.
Now we just need to open up the .wav and reverse the playback.
Fire up Windows Sound Recorder. It is usually found found under:
Its time to open up your newly created .wav file. You can do this by dragging it from the folder onto windows Sound recorder.
Another way is to click File->Open on recorder itself then navigate to the directory where you saved the .wav in Step 3.
Reversing the .wav file is easy! Just click Effects->Reverse
This is the fun part. Time to find a secret message, trim the song down and save it.
- Listen carefully to different parts of the backwards song for messages from the lyricist. Don't be afraid to be creative and loose with your interpretation, that is part of the fun.
- Once you've found a 5-10 second clip you'd like to save, pause sound recorder at the start of the clip, then click Edit->Delete Before Current Position
- Next pause sound recorder where you want the clip to end. Then choose Edit->Delete After current Position.
- You now have a .wav file of Just your backwards song clip!
- Now would be a good time to Save your work. Make sure you save it in a folder you'll remember. Ideally you want to save it in the same folder as the origonal .wav from Step 3.
Step 6. (Last one!)
Its time to convert your Cool reverse lyric back into Mp3. This saves disk space, and makes it easier for everyone on the internet to download and listen to the clip.
If the mkw Audio Compression Tool is still open, you simply need to hold down the Control key, and drag the .wav file you created onto the window. You now have an .mp3 of your own secret message!
If you created this clip to compete in the Weekly Davespeak Reverse Lyric challenge, make sure you Email your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to Reverse Lyrics Challenge Page